EOSCommunity.org Forums

What sort of forums should we have here?

At this point we don’t have a super well-defined vision of what these forums should be, we just know we need to get off telegram to protect new users who are seeking support. Currently our mindset is that we are setting up forums for both our projects and for EOSIO developers in general, since those are the two groups of people we help the most.

That doesn’t mean however these forums couldn’t be used for anything else. We’re calling them the “Greymass Forums” for the time being just due to this lack of vision. We’d be happy to rename these to something more generic in which Greymass is just a small part.

With that being said - what sort of categories should exist within these forums? What sort of topics would you like to engage on?

We won’t promise we’ll add everything, but we do want to kick off the conversation about what it’d take to launch a forum-based EOSIO community.

3 Likes

I’ve been personally running and managing forums since the late 90’s, so I have a few ideas. I just didn’t want to jump the gun and start adding a ton of extra forums and create confusion. A few of the ideas I’ve had so far are:

• Chain specific forums, e.g. EOS, FIO, TELOS, WAX, etc.
  • More project specific forums, maybe Hyperion or dfuse on the API side, maybe Scatter on the wallet side, and maybe forums for the various other tools we all have come to depend on.
  • Forums for dapps that need a community hub.
  • Forums specifically for governance and ecosystem wide improvement initiatives.
3 Likes

Can’t think of anything to add to that list right now. I wonder how easy it is to merge forums after they have been created. If it’s an option then we might want to start with less forums at the beginning and split them up over time.

I think it’s pretty easy… though time will tell :laughing:

@aaron 您好,我是一名中文社区的人,不知道你们是否介意看到我们的中文讨论混杂在英文讨论中?是不是开辟一个中文讨论的分类比较好?英文是Google翻译的,希望能表达出我的意思。

Hello @aaron , I am a member of the Chinese community. I wonder if you would mind seeing our Chinese discussions mixed in English discussions? Is it better to open up a classification of Chinese discussion? It is translated by Google, I hope to express what I mean.

I’d like to see forums flagged (color-coded?) as to technical expertise expectations. New users can be directed to the proper entry points, devs don’t waste their time sifting through “baby talk”, etc.

I’d also like to see a forum for those who want to contribute broken down into levels of expertise required. What products/contributions are needed?

1 Like

There is an automatic translation feature on the forums currently, which helps solve the translation problem a bit. It can be used by clicking the “globe” icon on a post like so:

I do think potentially creating language specific forums may be a good idea though!

2 Likes

Categorizing the content is something we are considering currently. With the rate at which the forums are growing, we are somewhat watching to see how it evolves before we start rearranging things.

1 Like