EOSCommunity.org Forums

Trouble Migrating from Wax Cloud Wallet

Hi,

I am trying to take control of my private keys and level up my security by migrating from the Wax Cloud Wallet to using the Anchor Desktop wallet. My primary use case is to trade NFTs on WAX using the AtomicAssets platform.

So far while trying to migrate I did the following:

1. Installed the Anchor desktop wallet on Windows
  2. Logged into https://wax.bloks.io/ using my WAX Web Wallet credentials
  3. Clicked on Utilities, copied my private key into the Formatter to format my private key to the Old Format
  4. Inside the Anchor Wallet (1.1.12), I clicked on Import Account
  5. Selected Import Manually
  6. Entered my username
  7. I tried putting either one of “owner” or “active” for the Permission Name
  8. I selected Key-based authority and pasted in my private key obtained in step 3
  9. Clicked Import Account(s)
  10. Logged into AtomicAssets using my Anchor Wallet
  11. Tried to transact on AtomicAssets, but when I click to sign the transaction using my Anchor wallet, it gives an error:
    Transaction Failed!
    transaction declares authority ‘{“actor”:“redacted.wam”,“permission”:“active”}’, but does not have signatures for it under a provided delay of 0 ms, provided permissions [], provided keys [“redacted”], and a delay max limit of 3888000000 ms

Clearly there is a permission-related issue, but I haven’t been able to figure it out. Help!!

Yeah there’s a few places in there that could have been the problem.

I’m pretty sure they keys bloks displays aren’t actually your private keys. I think it’s a key generator, and every time you go to the page it’ll generate new keys for you. I could be wrong here, but you might want to check on that.

I think the only place you’d be able to export the keys for your account is the wax cloud wallet (if it’s an option there).

If they were your keys, I would avoid this option. There’s no verification on this step and I think we’re actually going to remove it in the next version (or at least hide it). It was put there to be a tool for advanced users mostly.

You can go into Manage Wallets and delete the one you imported, since that one is most likely not going to work. Then import the account again using the “Import Private Key” method and let it detect your account based on the private key.

This error specifically is what leads me to believe the key is incorrect.

You’re right! That’s what it was, thanks.

According to what I have read, WAX Cloud Wallets are fully custodial. It sounds like there is no way to get access to the private keys. They have some functionality on their site that facilitates the creation of what they call all-access-accounts where you get access to your keys, but there’s apparently no link to the original account other than it having a similar name. I want to take control of my keys, but it seems I’m going to essentially need to create a new account and migrate all my existing assets other to the new one if I’m to use Anchor with my own keys! Bummer.

Thanks for your huge help!!

1 Like