EOSCommunity.org Forums

Recovery Assistance

Hi Folks,

I’m a little unfamiliar with all of this, but I had some assistance from a friend in setting up an account a while back.

Here’s the problem – I’ve forgotten my wallet password and, when setting up the account, I texted the certificate to myself but it did not go through. Since upgrading my OS and phone, I cannot recover the certificate.

Here’s what I do have:

1. Public Key
  2. Private Key
  3. Account Name
  4. Encryption Key Words

Is it possible to recover my account with this information? If so, could someone please point me to the documentation or a separate thread with instructions?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Additions

I have access to Anchor on both my phone and desktop. On my phone, I can use FaceID to authorize transactions. I’m not currently stuck at the moment, but something feels precarious about not knowing the underlying password.

The private key you have should be enough to control the account and import it into wallets for management. That key I’m assuming is your “active” key which serves as your primary day-to-day key for usage.

The owner key certificate is your backup essentially though in the event your active key is lost. Without both the certificate AND the encryption key words, you won’t be able to use it as a backup.

If you want an owner key backup to ensure you can recover your account, unfortunately you’d have to make a new account and go through that process again. You could then move all of your assets (using the active key you have on your device) to the new account that you have a backup for.

It’s good that you’ve at least got the private key so the account is usable!

Thank you very much – this worked!

I created an EOS account/wallet to use the emanate.live website for my music as I’m a musician. I have the anchor certificate here in front of me. However, I saved as a file on my computer and at the bottom, the 6 fields where I guess we’re supposed to manually write the encryption key out on a printed version of this certificate, I never did that. I don’t even recall writing down these 6 words. I do have my mnemonic key, my owner key certificate number, and I have the actual proof of ownership certificate (digitally) with the QR code on it. Any help on how I can retrieve my 6 encryption key words? This cost me about $75-$100 in Crypto get all set up. Any advice is appreciated. Peace!!! #DCSCRYPTO

The app presents the 6 words right after the print/save stage, and after they’re displayed, the app then makes you confirm those 6 words in order to verify you’ve written them down. Not sure if that triggers your memory of the process or not.

Which version of Anchor was this you were using, desktop/iOS/Android?

If the process was never completed, you should be able to go in and export a new certificate (which will be different than the one you have) and present you with the 6 words again.

I upgraded to a new phone and i didnt move my private key over to my new one. im still logged into apps like Atomic Hub that stores my Nfts, but i am unable to move them because i am unable to get into my anchor account. Is there anyway to recover this?

Hello,

When you created your account, did you print out the Owner Key Certificate or save your private keys someplace? If so, then simply use them to either import or recover your account with the private keys or the Owner Key Certificate, respectively. If you still have access to the old phone, you can also use Anchor to save the keys or certificate. Furthermore, with the old phone, there is a chance that you could recover the keys using the Keychain Viewer

Unfortunately, without any of those items, there’s not much we can do to recover your account.