EOSCommunity.org Forums

Locked Wallet - Death of Family Member

Hello,

My close friend reached out for help on this and I feel stupid and bad that I couldn’t help him out. I’m the only one he knows, other than his dad who worked with crypto. I just have some eth, btc nothing like his dad. He was heavy into the technology and invested in coins like EOS.
His father passed away last week unexpected so he didn’t leave them a layout or plan on how to recover his funds. They do have a trust, will and death certificate along with any identification documents to justify that he did in fact leave all funds to them (my friend and his mother). None of the documents contained private keys or phrases he was actually really secure about this kind of stuff and doesn’t have anything in the cloud. Well he had a roboform account with offline data that we could only read the file name unless you input the master password which they have ZERO idea what it is. I mean literally every time they’ve needed a password he showed me some texts when he had sent a password for a site or something and its like $5dcjdken5#hd84 generated from a password manager. I dont want to make this a roboform issue but they legit said they cant help because of the way he setup his app offline and the only bright side is we could guess as many times as we want.

He has a Anchor wallet and Scatter wallet and a ledger. The bad news is that I guess he wasn’t aware that when the ledger says “2 attempt left, 1 attempt left” that it wipes out the device. He thought it just restarts or something. The good news is that they have his phone so the ledger app didn’t really have much in there and they think this Scatter and Anchor wallet contain most of the funds. Scatter we cant see , but Anchor wallet only asks you for the password when your trying to send or something so we see all the balances of all his wallets and the public keys.

We are able to create a .json backup of the wallets from Anchor but we cant get the password. We tried restoring the wallet in a new PC and it asks us for a password to setup initially, then when we import the wallet it needs the old wallets password, understandably.

I know this is like asking Apple to hack a iPhone, but is there a way to “trick” or somehow get the password to his Anchor or scatter wallet. We think this is going to be the master password to unlock everything else because I noticed roboform doesn’t pop up like how it does on websites when password is needed so we dont think he constantly went back and forth with the apps for his web wallets. This password could in turn lead us to get his roboform which hopefully has the ledger keys on it.

But like I said, the family is willing to provide anything necessary to prove legitimacy and doesn’t mind waiting a few weeks or something so wallet inactivity could be seen. I know the blockchain itself itself makes it impossible to retrieve the money from developers or something but please help me help them out I truly feel like $%8# now because he would help me out with crypto and the one time I could’ve helped him, I cant.

He had life changing money in there, enough to pay off their mortgage (which he was going to do I remember he had staked EOs or TELOS and was waiting for the waiting period to cash out his stake, he asked me if I took his advice and invested in it because I guess it recently blew up.)

Any advice is much appreciated guy, thank you.

My telegram is @stockmd if anyone wants to reach out there