EOSCommunity.org Forums

Error: Cannot write HID device using Anchor Wallet + Ledger

Hello Aaron,

I recently downloaded the Anchor wallet vs. 1.1.11 and was able to see my EOS tokens with the help of my ledger nano S. However, I have been unable to send the tokens out of the wallet. It kept giving me the following error message: Cannot write HID device.

I don’t know what this means. Please can you help me make a successful transfer of my EOS tokens with my Ledger device? Thank you.

Regards,
Emma

This error typically happens when your computer is having difficulties communicating with the Ledger device using the USB cable. It can be fickle sometimes, especially when multiple applications are competing for that USB connection.

What I’d recommend trying is a few things:

• Start closing other applications that use the Ledger wallet. It’s possible one of the other applications you’re running has grabbed ahold of the Ledger itself and won’t let other apps (like Anchor) talk to it.
  • I’ve read in a few places people have gotten this error if they use the wrong kind of cable to connect between the Ledger and the computer. You can always make sure you’re using the USB cable that came with the Ledger to rule this out, or simply try another one.
  • Make sure the Ledger itself can be found with the Ledger Live application.
  • If all else fails, try restarting the computer and as it comes back online, start up Anchor as the first thing and connect it to the Ledger. It should be able to connect at that point, as long as no other applications automatically started and started using it first.

Hope that helps!