EOSCommunity.org Forums

Solution to EOS Scam Sites

I personally feel EOS is not mature enough for widespread use. I see hacks, dropped transactions and rampant fraud in the crypto world. I thought coming here to EOS was refuge but I didn’t read all the forum posts, so because of that I lost all my EOS. Good thing it was only my discord tips and that I didn’t buy a significant amount of EOS.

So therefore it is my fault that my account got drained of all my EOS. I had no idea what I was doing I guess. That’s sad because I have spent 3+ months studying EOS almost daily. In my experience since I was not able to buy EOS even with other’s help, I gave up trying. If it’s that hard EOS doesn’t want me to buy any. I was not able to earn enough EOS in discord tips to join Eden before the last election, but I was able to have my account drained playing around with my Anchor wallet investigating the eosio.grants account on bloks.io.

So no, I don’t blame you all or anyone else but me for my stupidity and loss, but I also don’t blame me for all the future and past EOS users or potential users that turned away from EOS for one reason or another. scams in particular.

Why? Because I am making an effort to do something about it. Rather than whine and gripe over what feels like a setup, I modified my hosts file. It may not help you, but it helped me feel better about feeling so helpless and powerless, so confused and not trusting of myself with this technology where it is at now and where I am at now. I have hope things will be better in the future.

The problem is it only will prevent me from not accessing 4 sites actively conducting scams now because most of the links are dead now, but I guess that is better than nothing. Makes me feel a little better. I still don’t want to buy any EOS though until I figure out how to do transactions without getting my entire account drained. I thought I was smart and good with technology. EOS has been a humbling and depressing experience for too many people for too long, I will not let it effect me that way. I may not be that smart when it comes to EOS, but I definitely think I have a very good handle on trusting that I am in the right place, at the right time.

Maybe in a year’s time someone will come out with a browser extension but for now I will just modify my hosts file problem is I can’t figure out how to scrape the scam domain name data off the different forums pages and somehow push it to me (or a notification if there are updates) so I can modify my hosts file. There are more intelligent ways to do things, but since I am not a coder, I don’t intend in developing anything beyond my cludgy caveman modified hosts file solution. Most of the scam links are old and no longer functional and I am sure the new scam domain addresses have not been reported and posted yet, so it would be nice if we had any easy way to collect that data and update.

Here I am at the edge of the future of technology and I feel like a caveman with a club. I personally don’t want a detective, I want preventive measures. Or else I will just end up clubbing myself.

1 Like

Another option but only effective on browser used unlike modified hosts which block all communication:

LeechBlock NG (Next Generation) is a simple free productivity tool designed to block those time-wasting sites that can suck the life out of your working day. (You know: the ones that rhyme with ‘Blue Cube’, ‘Space Hook’, ‘Sticky Media’, ‘Quitter’, and the like.) All you need to do is specify which sites to block and when to block them.

You can specify up to 30 sets of sites to block, with different times and days for each set. You can block sites within fixed time periods (e.g., between 9am and 5pm), after a time limit (e.g., allow up to 10 minutes in every hour), or with a combination of time periods and time limit (e.g., allow up to 10 minutes in every hour between 9am and 5pm).

Additional features:

• Lockdown: Block sites immediately for a specified duration.
  • Access control: Set a password or random access code for the options page, to slow you down in moments of weakness!
  • Delaying: Set a countdown to delay access to sites instead of completely blocking them.
  • Wildcards: Block a range of sites (e.g., *.somesite.com).
  • Exceptions: Whitelist sites you don’t want to be blocked (e.g., +allowedsite.com).
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like