EOSCommunity.org Forums

Proposed EdenOS Roadmap

Hello everyone! I am excited to present an aggressive roadmap for making EdenOS a reality as quickly as possible. First, I need to make some disclaimers to protect everyone involved. Please keep in mind that everything is an estimate and therefore is subject to change. I will attempt to communicate any changes to the projected roadmap as early as possible. Please do not make investment decisions based upon the projections contained herein. Nothing in this proposed roadmap should be interpreted as a legally binding commitment and everything is presented for informational purposes only. With that out of the way, let’s get down to business.

The goal of EdenOS is to give the EOS community the most decentralized, transparent, democratic, governance process of any blockchain. In particular, it is more important than ever for the community to have a means of reaching consensus on who to trust to utilize community funds for the benefit of everyone.

This is part of a larger effort to ensure EOS has a self-sustaining and self-funded vision as well as the means of achieving it independent of any other companies or organizations. The people and consensus are more important than any technology used.

Before getting into the roadmap and proposal to the community I would like to introduce some of the parties involved in making this happen. I have reached out to Brock Pierce and have arranged for the nonprofit organization known as the EOS Alliance to manage the effort of bringing EdenOS to reality. EdenOS is an alliance of people working together to see EOS adopted as a currency and utilized in smart contracts. The EOS Alliance will act as the bridge between the real world and the Eden community.

The plan going forward is to prove the EdenOS governance process works in a transparent and verifiable manner before spending time and money to perfect a fully on-chain implementation. The success of Eden depends upon having the support of the people involved more than any particular on-chain formality.

Q2 2021

EdenOS team under the EOS Alliance will propose to the EOS block producers the utilization 1.9 million EOS from the eosio.ramfee account to fund the Eden community once EdenOS has successfully initiated at least 1000 members and held its first election in which a budget will be allocated to about 100 community representatives.

The election process will operate as follows:

1. All 1000+ Eden community members will attend a Zoom meeting
  2. Zoom will automatically assign members to random breakout groups of 10 people
  3. Each group will have 1 hour to reach 8/10 consensus on a member of their group to represent them. Each group will be responsible for recording their meeting in order for their representative to advance.
  4. The following day, all 100 representatives will repeat the process and then the final 10 representatives will meet to pick the community leader. Everything will be recorded and logged on the blockchain via IPFS.

Budget Allocation

A budget of 1.5 million EOS will be divided among representatives according to the following algorithm:

• 500,000 EOS allocated to the top representative

• 500,000 EOS divided evenly among the Level 2 representatives

• 500,000 EOS divided evenly among the Level 1 representatives

Assuming 1000 members and all groups successfully appointing representatives then the outcome would be:

1. 1 Level 3 representative with a budget of 500,000 EOS
  2. 10 Level 2 representative with a budget of 50,000 EOS each
  3. 100 Level 1 representatives with a budget of 5,000 EOS each

Note that you can be a representative at all 3 levels and would receive the sum of the budgets for each level.

The remaining 400,000 EOS would be allocated to the EOS Alliance to fund a development team to formalize the above process via on chain transactions and gradually reduce community dependence upon the services of Zoom. This 400,000 EOS would be held by the EOS Alliance until the software is complete and the first election using the software is successfully completed. I will fund this development to completion, up to $2 million dollars, and the EOS Alliance will reimburse me with 400,000 EOS after the community block producers have accepted the contract by funding the EdenOS community in 2022.

Most of Q2 will be spent inviting and onboarding members into the community in order to reach the target of 1000 members. During this time, I will invite an initial set of people who will in turn start inviting others. Each new member will attend a Zoom meeting during which they introduce themselves to the community and are endorsed by prior community members. These meetings will be recorded and memorialized via the issuance of up to 8 NFT membership cards per new member. These NFT cards will be distributed to the people recorded in the onboarding video and one will be auctioned to fund the community.

Q3 2021

Early Q3 2021, potentially July 4th, will be EOS Independence day where we host the first community election using the 1000+ members who joined in Q2. The block producers can then observe the election process and determine whether or not to release the 1.9 million EOS from the eosio.ramfee account to the community representatives.

Funds are distributed and representatives start utilizing them to achieve the goals dictated by the community consensus.

Q4 2021

Development begins on chain smart contracts and interfaces to automate the process that was manually executed above.

Q1 2022

Development and testing of the EdenOS contract and interface.

Q2 2022

The community deploys the EdenOS contract and prepares for the 2022 election. Chinese, Korean, and Spanish communities start to form utilizing the new software on-chain governance tools.

Q3 2022

The community hosts a new election and the EOS Block Producers vote on whether or not to fund the EdenOS community with a budget of 0.25% of EOS supply. Each Eden community (English, Chinese, Korean,and Spanish) would have their own 0.25% budget if the block producers approve it and their communities have at least 1000 members each. If this is approved for at least one community, then the EOS Alliance will release the 400,000 EOS to me.

Feedback

Please provide feedback below and like this post if you support the proposed roadmap.

66 Likes

Great initial roadmap. Thank you for pioneering this process and helping rally the EOS community. Chintai and EOS42 look forward to participating and helping form the framework to yield best outcomes for the ecosystems prosperity.

10 Likes

That is not a lot of time for 10 strangers to get to know each other and reach a consensus. Why only 1 hour if the group is willing to spend more time to reach a consensus?

Also, I understand the goal of scheduling all meetings to happen concurrently to be making it more difficult for someone to act as multiple sockpuppets across many different groups at the same time (Sybil protection). But I think that could be sufficiently addressed for a shorter half hour session to just have everyone quickly introduce themselves and allow them to tie names to faces. After that point, the group already knows what each other member in that group looks and sounds like so if they continue the deliberations in a more convenient time slot in the day it doesn’t compromise Sybil protection by much (although there is a slightly greater potential for deep fake shenanigans in that case).

2 Likes

I don’t think that deep fake can be used in live zoom.

1 Like

The technology already exists to do pretty compelling versions for both faces and voices if not in real time. We have also already seen consumer available apps doing real time face replacement with mediocre quality. I don’t have any links to share off hand, but I bet there are already tools researchers have available to do a pretty compelling version of this stuff live as well assuming you had enough GPU power. I’ll search around to see if I can find any examples (and if anyone else has example available please do share, perhaps on a separate thread). Anyway, even if compelling real-time versions don’t exist today I’m confident they will in the near future.

EDIT:
Here is what I found after some quick searching.

Here is an example what could be done with faking people’s voices over a year ago. And here is some code implementing the technique discussed in the referenced paper which includes a video in the README that shows the TTS happening fast enough. I don’t see the process of adding speech recognition aspect to the pipeline to adding too much more latency to make faking someone’s voice impractical.

There is further evidence showing that doing real-time processing of voice audio based on ML models is already possible to some extent today. For example, Google is using ML techniques to compress a voice signal to a very low bitrate and then regenerate them on the other end. And clearly that is a process that is very latency sensitive if they plan to use it for live audio conversation tools like Duo. This isn’t exactly the same as changing one’s voice to another voice live, but the techniques are similar enough that I’m confident that is within reach soon (and for all I know, it may already have been done).

On the video side, there are plenty of real time examples I could give that are not great but still pretty impressive. Here is just one example. I’m confident these methods will get better and more convincing over time. Keep in mind that if you tolerate a little added latency then that gives the computer more time to do a higher quality version. One could easily justify the added latency for responses by pretending they have a worse internet connection than they really do. Furthermore, if one intentionally makes an effort to make more subtle and slower facial movements (shouldn’t be too difficult when the main point of the meeting is to have a conversation) then it could perhaps come across as more realistic given the current computing limitations.

2 Likes

As long as their deep faked appearance is consistent and reputation forming does it matter I wonder?

Edit: more of a worry could be bots that pass the turing test on zoom, first building relationships on telegram, then get voted in. How far away would that be?

If the process has enough participants there should be an IRL component at some stage maybe

1 Like

I didn’t mean to hijack this topic to talk about deep fakes and other Sybil attack methods that can be used against EdenOS. So I created a thread specifically about that: Sybil attacks against EdenOS (particularly with assistance of technology).

1 Like

Latency doesn’t help except for the first frame only reducing frame rates helps increase cpu time per frame. Latency may allow greater parallelism if you can have interlaced computation.

1 Like

The beginning of an anti-fragile future for EOS.

3 Likes

Can’t wait to get started, bring it on :rocket:

1 Like

Dan,

I do not like approach of EOS 5k for many accounts as it’s difficult to do smth decent for this money on another hand there is high chance that the person will just give up and will not finish the product. Why not to go another way, similar to ordinary VC funds? For example there will be setup 3 onchain funds (or any number of funds), the community based on your approach will choose managers of these funds (if the fund perform bad community will select other managers for this fund), developers will pitch these funds and managers will disburse (using multisig) funding in small amounts to developers according to the road map.

Thanks inn advance for your reply!

3 Likes

This sounds great. I’m excited to see how the selection process plays out and what its success would mean for wider society. I think it’s a case of moving ahead with it and making corrections along the way if required.

Is there any more information you can share about the EOS Alliance and its members? Brock is a huge win, but would be interested to know who else is being considered, and what the process is for decided who the members should be. What are the goals and responsibilities of the EOS Alliance following the creation of EdenOS in the long-term?

1 Like

Very supportive - nicely designed governance process. And a big note of thanks and recognition to you Dan, for locking up that amount of working capital (loan) for a year or so.

My questions (still playing catchup here) are around flow of funds, and authorisation thereof. If I understand correctly the EOS Alliance proposes to the BP’s that it can utilize eosio.ramfee for funding. What was the original intent for eosio.ramfee and why is that controlled by the BP’s? I was under the impression that eosio.bpay & eosio.vpay were the BP specific accounts? I realise this question exposes me as a complete newbie, so please be understanding.

Going forward is eosio.saving still envisioned and will this fall under the mandate of EOS Alliance, the BP’s etc? Is it still meant to fund worker proposals?

From Q3-22, you mention a budget of 0.25% of EOS supply. I’m assuming this is ultimately from inflation but from which account does that come from? Again, it would seem that the BP’s are entirely in charge of whether or not funding is allocated, but of course as EdenOS grows it can vote in BP’s that are aligned with developing the EdenOS community. Right?

Lastly, all of this is very self-referential. My interest lies in sucking in fiat currency i.e. USD → EOS. I am cracking on with some ideas in this regard, but in the meantime this all looks very exciting.

2 Likes

Smart contracts already exist on EOS. Why are you not using smart contract on EOS BlockChain, is there anything wrong here?
The roadmap is too long for a small task, using EOS smart contract within 1 week to complete the voting function. Are you wasting time?

1 Like

smart contracts are only 5% of the challenge.

1 Like

It was a community fund to be managed by elected producers.

1 Like

More information will be coming out in the next couple of weeks

3 Likes

These people are given budgets which the should be using to fund existing teams and apps, not just starting something new. They could give to anchor or dfuse or wombats or ad campaign.

1 Like

What if you don’t spend the $2 million, will you still receive as reimbursement 400,000 EOS? And how can we account for your expenditure?

1 Like

Hmm, nice roadmap. Making me think about how I would allocate 5k EOS. I would contact a handful of successful app groups, and reach out to this group too for guidance.

For example, when Dan mentioned the API need for decentralization.

Bottom line, I think I may be able to confidently allocate 5000 EOS.

Interesting. My first reaction was that I wouldn’t know how to appropriate those funds. But after thinking about it, I think I could find a really good fit. I’m familiar with like 100 different efforts over the last few years.

One issue: the total amount of money across all members does not seem like much. But it is significant. And we will learn a ton in one year.

I definitely like it.