EOSCommunity.org Forums

Proposal for Eden to consider: EOS Project Proposal & Voting Portal

A “suitable domain name” is subjective and not necessarily a factor. Clarion has nothing to do with EOS, for instance. Neither does Eden. Each of these stands on its own.
This solution is well suited to be adapted for Eden. It works today to solve some of the problems and can be adjusted according to needs. And it’s there, now, today, ready to go. Plus it serves the general public, not just EOS and Eden. It’s a fantastic way to reach out to the general public and introduce them to a) Eden and b) EOS, without having to get into their faces and make them believe. We can show them by providing a service that they can use even if they’re not part of EOS.

Ideally, we want something that can work to accomplish all the goals we need addressed as an Eden hub. But, if we’re willing to step up the ideal, it will include serving the broadest audience as well.

And, frankly, we don’t have funds right now. IMO, we’re a penny stock trying to act like a Fortune 500. The only cost in Scripsio is whatever we’re willing to do to improve it for Eden’s purposes. And that can be done one small step at a time. I’m not asking for a dime right now. If I can profit from it later, great. If Eden can profit from it, even more so. But personal profit is not my focus.

We can build something that will tick a lot of boxes, but it’ll be new and narrowly focused. Is that what’s best for the community? While I don’t think so, maybe I’m wrong. Personally, I’d rather see us striving more more holistic solutions that serve Eden’s needs while reaching out to and serving the general population.

1 Like

If you can get something built for less money and within a short time frame giving us the same first / future phase functionality then please go ahead, I would support your proposal

2 Likes

Thanks Mell.

IMO, this is a more holistic approach and provides some instant use without any costs. It would seem to provide the path of least resistance as well.

I’ve built this with considerable time and effort, as well as my own funds. I’m offering it to the community. I’m not selling it or asking for money for myself. I’ll pay for the server and keep the licenses up to date until/unless the site can someday pay for those.

But any advances and/or tweaks that need to be made, the community needs to step up and do them - whether paying a dev or one of our members volunteering. The site is available for Eden to make it perform whatever is needed. As @amih said above,

Here it is, with other features not requested and the ability for Eden to provide a service to the general public as well. There could be a huge “good will” aspect to this if it were to gain even a little traction, which may or may not provide a source of income for Eden over the long haul. But it does at least have the potential already baked in.

Current features of Scripsio

• Streamed posts (facebookish)
  • Personal blogs (integrated with Hive)
  • P2P chatbox
  • Groups (private, public, secret) Possible to put behind paywall
  • Store (crypto payments)
  • Gamification (sign up and see what you get!)
  • Polls
  • There are other features available that aren’t activated also, such as the ability to host classes and structure other tools typical to WP and social sites.

What’s done from OP:
1 - Upload proposals
2 - Voting system (via polls)
3 - Work required (via group)
4 - Bids could be done via groups. More would be need for any sort of escrow
5 - Reviews of completed work - We have review tools available, but nothing enabled at the moment. This would need some review and perhaps tweaking or something new altogether implemented.
6 - Project status - Groups might work for this, but it appears something more is being requested. Might need a feature not on the site yet.
7 - Completed projects - Could be set up as a simple page, pinned posts in a group or some other means.

Key Points (Phase 1) following the proposal points

• Restricting access to groups is built in.
  • EOS acct access - This would need to be built into the site to restrict access to areas where required
  • Registration - There are levels of membership that can be implemented. It’s inherent to WP, so shouldn’t be difficult to structure.
  • Uploads management (the rest of the bullet points) - These are all so intertwined that it might be best to build a new page/section for the site. Some of the onboard tools might work, but it’s a bit specialized so perhaps not. Maybe Ami knows of a boxed solution?

As for the rest, folks would need to step up to make it happen. I’m not a project manager, so someone better equipped would need to be involved. And I really don’t have the personal bandwidth to manage it further than I’m already providing. As for funding, I have this much covered and can sustain it until/unless funds become available to cover costs (there are licenses involved with the site, but we get some support as well). The only added thing I could cover right now is a server (it’s slow right now), but it would be cool if we could host it on EOS (I’m told it can be done, but have no idea how to implement). The rest would have to come from others volunteering or funds from elsewhere.

Needs:

• If the site is being used something eventually will break, so it’ll need some sort of dev oversight in addition to (or included) in work to improve the site for Eden purposes. If something breaks, we’d need a go-to person. How would that be managed?
  • What else?

Income: This site has the potential to bring in some funds. While there are no promises, it’s possible and would be largely dependent upon how we want to pursue it. The articles that get published to Hive from the site can add an Eden Hive account as a beneficiary (a dev will have to create the interface - I have the API info to make it happen). The store can either add an Eden account to receive the Scripsio portion or we can set up something else. Perhaps there are other angles not yet explored. We can also set up a Hive account to automatically vote for members’ articles. Personally, all I want is costs covered as soon as possible and then it would be nice to receive a passive payment based on profits, if it ever got that far.

As noted, this site can be used by Eden right now. Much of our use of other venues could be absorbed today. Sign up and check it out. How could it be integrated with or work along side Clarion? I have no clue. Smarter people than me who understand Clarion would need to get involved.

A final personal note: I don’t need to sell this to Eden from any angle at all. I just think that it’s a great solution that we can implement and expand upon. It offers tools that would make Eden a community provider instantly. And I’d love to see it benefit the community as a reward for me personally. But if there’s a compelling reason to take another route, then I’d prefer that we go with whatever is best for Eden.

1 Like

Will you be able to make a start on this then?
Any ideas the time frame having just some of the basic features?

1 Like

I’m not sure that I understand. The site is up as noted above with the basic features I’ve outlined. Just hop on and set up your account. Here is the Eden Members group I set up. It’s open to join at the moment since we haven’t adopted it, but we can make it private.

The features that are working are noted above (might need some clarification since I tried to just buzz through quickly, but it’s there). The big thing that needs to be done is the whole proposal upload/manage concept. I just don’t think that the site is equipped to do that as is. Someone might have to build it or we might find a plugin to make it work for now and perfect it later. The other is somehow make one of the levels of membership on the site tied to EOS accounts. It’s way over my head to accomplish that. We’d need a bid or volunteer to accomplish these things.

If adopted, the only thing I see that should happen asap is get it hosted on a more robust server. It’s shared at the moment. But maybe smarter minds than mine see other things that need to happen immediately.

I’ve outlined what I can do above. I can’t handle more than that. I already have a lot of time and financial resources invested. I’m not asking that I recoup that. But I’m totally open to distributed ownership of the site, to perhaps incentivize anyone with a vision for it, as long as there’s no effort to cut me out completely. Feel free to brainstorm. Ideally we can get to a point where the community simply manages the site, whatever that might look like.

Thanks for the discussion, Mel. I know you have ideas of what you want things to look like and understand what that entails better than I do. Maybe you’re the one who should be the project manager? It would be nice if someone among us would take that lead to move the site to the level that would most suit Eden.

2 Likes