EOSCommunity.org Forums

Helpful Eden induction script template and some lessons learned

Similar to the call for an “Eden Induction Video” page requested here, I found some tools are needed to more easily coordinate meetings, especially when multiple timezones are involved and with very busy schedules.

I put this spreadsheet together which you are free to use to manage your invites: Stoked Eden Invites - Google Sheets

Just go to File → Make a Copy to get your own. Shout out to @benobi for the original website version of this he put together. I made it into a spreadsheet as I wanted to keep track of my own invites and their status.

Put in the invite details and then use the drop down box to work with the current invite you have going on.

Some things I’ve learned so far doing a couple invitations and acting as witness:

1. Don’t do anything on chain until after you’ve recorded the Zoom video. So far (by far!) the biggest challenge has been coordinating the time to get everyone together to do the 1 minute video. That may sound crazy, but when there are 12 hour time differences and very busy schedules, it’s quite difficult to get 4 peoples’ schedules aligned. In some cases you may have different existing members willing to witness, but if you do the on chain part first, you’re kind of stuck with the witnesses you have in the existing invite.
  2. Make sure everyone knows how to set a background in zoom. If you haven’t done this before, be sure to do that on your own prior to your scheduled call. Double check the notes in the wiki about this also to ensure you have the correct recording settings on your account.
  3. Create a meeting place to coordinate schedules. I created my own telegram channel where witnesses and invites can come together and that’s been really helpful to get everyone on the same page quickly. You may want to create your own as well (or feel free to ping me about mine and I can bring you in so you can use it for your own invites).
  4. Double check the links in the profile (not just the text content). @aaron recently noticed some bad links and thankfully they were caught before the profile was permanently saved to the chain. Just Ctrl+Click on all the links and make sure they open before approving the profile.
  5. eospowerup.io Use it to avoid frustration regarding EOS resources. Make sure those you’re inviting use it.

Now on to some of personal thoughts and ideas, I’d love your input on.

1. Should kids be allowed into EdenOS? More on that topic here using my own kids as an example. Some thoughts based on the responses so far on Twitter:
    1. Most people are positive towards the idea and see age as an arbitrary value which the current governance systems don’t handle very well. You can read all the positive replies which I won’t bother repeating here.
    2. There’s a very real possibility of a small Sybil attack of sorts if the children just do whatever their “adult guardians” expect them to do. In a sense, one person’s vote could be increased by the number of kids they have, almost like they could be in multiple political playoff meetings at the same time. In theory, this same issue exists for any one who is invited. Also, if you invite 2 other people within your own family or home, you can now, the three of you, invite whoever you want. Reputation may (or may not) be enough to stop this leading to on onboarding attack. See Eternal September.
    3. If the kids don’t pay with their own money, they don’t have skin in the game. This is different (IMO) from a donation to allow a valuable member to participate in Eden who wouldn’t otherwise be able to pay. As an example, my kids have their own EOS (they’ve made money selling NFTs), but if they don’t personally think the value is there for them to participate at this time, maybe that’s answer enough on it’s own. Having a parent pay for them takes away from the skin in the game purpose of the 10 EOS fee (IMO).
  2. Related to the above, I think we need more Indians than Chiefs (if you’ll allow what is probably a culturally inappropriate metaphor). If we just have leaders, builders, and hardcore EOS-faithful community members involved, will it really be a robust example of the Eden governance political play off system or will it just be a super niche club of people who kind of get along anyway and see things the same way already? I think it’s important to have many people involved in the process who share the core principles (love of freedom, liberty, etc), but aren’t just tech nerds. I want to see more philosophers, artists, governance experts, moms, dads, children (as appropriate), young adults, and more helping to really test this out. I’d like to have rounds of the political playoff system where not everyone wants to go forward, lead the community, and manage funds, but instead are there to help that group pick the right candidates who will have the best interests of all in mind. I’d like to see groups that push forward members for the sole purpose of picking a good leader in future rounds, due to their breadth of experience and wisdom, not because they themselves want to lead. To that end, I will be inviting some amazing people who may not even have EOS accounts right now. That may seem confusing to some, but to me the value there is in the quality and character of the people, not the specifics of their knowledge of EOS. In fact, I think we need more people who have just recently onboarded to EOS and cryptocurrency to help us see our own blindspots and communicate to us how to improve for the non-technical masses that are coming. Many in EOS, for example, don’t have an accurate understanding of how others outside of EOS negatively view EOS. With the right people involved, we could get that understanding and adjust accordingly to improve.

I hope the script template linked above is useful for your inductions and the lessons learned are helpful as well. As to my personal thoughts, I’d love your input on 1 and 2.

Thanks!

4 Likes

Can use tools like https://calendly.com to help with scheduling.

1. Most people are positive towards the idea and see age as an arbitrary value which the current governance systems don’t handle very well. You can read all the positive replies which I won’t bother repeating here.

Age isn’t everything but it is not an arbitrary value. The more age the more increased chance of life experiences, responsibilities and brain development and hopefully English speaking and writing skills. How much of that do you think we’re going to find in a 5 year old?

I’m all for children placed in a new environment particpating in an Eden community, as I think it would be a fantastic experience for their development and working with others and could definitely teach us a few things but at this stage I think they have no place in Eden on EOS.

In theory, this same issue exists for any one who is invited. Also, if you invite 2 other people within your own family or home, you can now, the three of you, invite whoever you want. Reputation may (or may not) be enough to stop this leading to on onboarding attack.

While this attack is still a possibility there’s more skin in the game for adults participating in such activity than a child. The community may shun you all it wants but can only give so much to a child who might not have even known any better.

In terms of expanding the community that’s a difficult balance to find, we don’t want to be too closed off but don’t want to be too open either.

Elections will include mentions of EOS history, technical issues and figures in the community. Plenty of talk time was spent in the Mock trials discussing community projects that EOS outsiders won’t know, and will either spend limited time being taught about them during the election or draw their votes blind.

I totally agree with getting people outside EOS to participate in real and mock elections. They do need to figure out how to get 10 or more EOS to participate. Just like with the kids, you should not be funding them so they have skin in the game.

Yeah, I use this tool often for my personal calendar. Works well.

1 Like

i see it as a proxy (a rather poor one, actually) for the things you mentioned which actually do matter (life experiences, responsibility, brain development, etc.). That line is obvious on the extremes (5yo, as an example) but much more difficult to discern in the young adult stage. My 10yo, for example, is very wise for her age. Surprisingly so, at times. Clearly she doesn’t have the life experiences as an adult, but her perspective is also valuable to a community working to build a governance system that can shape the future.

I think you make a good point about a different Eden community potentially being more appropriate for participation from children.

I agree, more knowledge of EOS can result it better decisions about what should be funded, but I also think there is knowledge of EOS that doesn’t reside within the EOS community today. Knowledge from outsiders about other systems and how they do things better than EOS, for example. Knowledge from users who just went through an onboarding process and the many pain points they experiences along the way, etc.

As the stakes grow, I imagine those serious about being elected will essentially start campaigning prior to the election (unlike what we did in the mock trial). That way, if you find yourself within a meeting with someone who has been actively campaigning, you’ll already know their position.

How do you feel about more philosophers, artists, everyday crypto people (non-EOS) involved? Would they involvement add more richness and perspective which can ultimately improve EOS or would we be better off only listening to perspectives that are already within the EOS community today?

That line is obvious on the extremes (5yo, as an example) but much more difficult to discern in the young adult stage. My 10yo, for example, is very wise for her age. Surprisingly so, at times.

Given your commitment to Blockchain and personality in the community I truly do believe your kids would be exposed to brand new ideas and taught to think in ways many adults would have never have thought of and wouldn’t be surprised if they end up prodigy’s of some kind because of it.

The trick is identifying these traits in other kids without their parents endorsement as parents can exaggerate their childs abilities.

I think you make a good point about a different Eden community potentially being more appropriate for participation from children.

Them electing class captains at school, would be a fantastic experience.

How do you feel about more philosophers, artists, everyday crypto people (non-EOS) involved? Would they involvement add more richness and perspective which can ultimately improve EOS or would we be better off only listening to perspectives that are already within the EOS community today?

I think it really depends on what Eden on EOS actually is and what it’s goals are, some people think it something merely to pass judgement on Intent of code and pass recommendations for BPs.

Others want a full EOS governing solution where the Eden community has more power than the BPs themselves.

To me democracy is a ship, with each voter tugging at the helm. The more people think the same way the quicker we’ll get somewhere, it might not be the best place to be but at least we’ll get somewhere.

Once we’ve got something off the ground and functional, then we can try steer it to a new place where (non-EOS) members are given more influence on it’s direction backed at least with a foundation the original members made for them.

So I dare to say maybe we should be more closed off until then.

I’m happy to read this. When we start getting deep into the technology and it’s possibilities, we sometimes lose the bigger picture. I personally have very limited programming skills, but I still ended up here. I trained as a doctor and over the course of my training, I figured out that doctors were becoming robots. They care mostly about their algorithms behind their technicalities. As I didn’t one to become like that, I learnt to listen and share compassion.

This brought me to dig deeper to find solutions, and I ended up meditating. At some point, what I found out with spirituality merged with my limited knowledge in physics. I started reading about quantum physics, and I could finally understand the bigger picture. All that to say, there are plenty of ways to come up to the same conclusion about how to make the world better: love the universe and the universe will love you. This is the Way to social justice, freedom, peace.

The Eden community is an important milestone for humanity and all living beings. I’ve been reading the technical posts with a lot of interest and I’ve been learning like never before. I also think it would be great to encourage creation, writing, art and ideas pitching. Some people don’t have the technical skills to put their ideas to work, and this community could be very helpful to translate the light they have received from the universe. I could write a framework for this type of community.

Thanks for all your hard work guys

1 Like