EOSCommunity.org Forums

EOS as a country - What does EOS need to thrive?

@bytemaster has said several times that he thinks the strongest narrative for EOS to succeed is “EOS is money.” I didn’t get what he meant until today when I listened in on the EOS Telegram Group voice discussion where Dan explained more on what this narrative means to him.

Dan explained that one way to think about separate blockchains is like separate countries. A thriving country needs strong independence. While a thriving country may owe some of its prosperity to foreign trade, the need for strong economic independence is crucial. In other words, a thriving country needs to have everything it needs within its borders. So the “EOS is money” narrative is another way of saying that EOS must become like an independent country if it is going to succeed.

So what does EOS need to thrive? Here are some ideas which I’ve heard from many others also.

Marketplaces
As Robert Breedlove has said, all life comes from exchange. Marketplaces and payment processors built on EOS would not only be lifeblood for an EOS community, but also provide solutions to the unbanked.

Identity
A reliable identity system is required for some things in society to function. It seems Voice will soon solve a key piece of identity for EOS.

Dispute Resolution
With reliable identity systems comes the need for dispute resolution to keep your valued identity in good standing.

Insurance
In many ways I think insurance is a protection service, a safety net to prevent the catastrophic. Police protection doesn’t make sense for a distributed community, but financial protection does. Any service that sets a safety net in a particular corner of a persons life to prevent catastrophe in the case of unforeseen mishap is valuable.

Entertainment/Arts
NFTs are obviously hot right now. I didn’t quite get it until I listened to this interview with 3lau after his $11 million album debut. Blockchain and digital scarcity is going to transform the entertainment industry.

3 Likes

What you said is very valuable and original

2 Likes

Retaking the Country Narrative, @bytemaster is asking for an Autarky approach to EOS community. Autarky is the characteristic of self-sufficiency, usually applied to societies, communities, states, and their economic systems.
Real Autarky is hard to achieve, as it needs to have naturally all the needed resources to succeed. For example, at the national level not many countries can strive for Autarky because they lack some key raw material. E.G. Gas, minerals, water, meat, grains, energy, etc.
We need to go deeper and find if we have the raw materials to build the tools. Here is an Ishikawa Failure Analysis Diagram that asks, what do we need to FAIL? to start a brainstorm:

5 Likes

Looking at it from a failure mode is a good perspective. You’ve got me thinking. Thanks.

1 Like

The EOS Country:
A country is a distinct territorial body or political entity. It is often referred to as the land of an individual’s birth, residence, or citizenship.

If we visualize EOS a virtual country, it could help us focus on the things needed to make EOS country a success. To start the conversation, how about this Definitions?

EOS COUNTRY
Currency: EOS
Speed Roads: EOS BlockChain
Utilities: Block Producers
Law: Smart Contracts
Airports: Chain Bridges
Towns: Small Communities
Cities: Big Communities

Each Town/City founded in the EOS infrastructure will need at least these things to be successful:

• Communication Systems
  • Commerce Systems
  • Financing Systems (Bank, credit, etc)
  • Transportation Systems
  • Health Systems
  • Entertainment System
  • Arbitrage System
3 Likes