In February of 2021 we launched our account creation system exclusively for the iOS version of Anchor. Since then we have created thousands of accounts for new users and offered an easy to use onboarding experience. Today we are excited to announce that account creation is now available on all platform supported by Anchor!
With todays launch anyone can now purchase new accounts using:
- In-app purchases on both iOS and Android.
- Credit card purchases for all versions of Anchor through our new website at create.anchor.link.
The systems support account creation for the EOS, Proton, Telos and WAX blockchains.
After the purchase is completed in these locations, the account creation process launched in Anchor will automatically create separate owner/active keys for the new account and guide the user through creating an Owner Key Certificate to store their owner key safely for recovery purposes.
Note: Both desktop and Android users will need to update Anchor to the newest versions.
The new web service running at create.anchor.link acts as an online store that allows anyone to purchase an account. Just visit the site, select the blockchain you’d like to purchase an account for, and complete the purchase!
After the purchase is complete:
- An email is sent to the purchaser with a link to create the account (if they’d prefer to do it later).
- The purchaser can choose to create the account themselves, either by:
- Clicking a link on the confirmation screen to launch Anchor on their current device.
- Scanning the QR code from another device running Anchor.
- The purchaser can also choose to share the account creation URL with someone else, giving them the opportunity to create a brand new account without having to pay themselves.
Once Anchor is launched with this code, the user will select an available account name and the account will be ready to use!
We have had in-app purchases in iOS for months now and it has proven to be a great success. With just a few taps you can easily create a new account and get started using the blockchain. This feature is now available on Android (as of 0.30.4) and will allow users to automatically use the payment methods they have setup for use in the Play Store.
Also with todays release, we have upgraded all versions of Anchor to support the owner key certificates format we introduced in January of 2021. These certificates serve as an offline backup of your account (the owner key) for use with any compatible wallet.
With the certificate in hand, you can easily:
- Add a wallet to new device and so you can access your account.
- Reset all devices associated to your account (e.g. if your account becomes compromised).
- Import your Owner Key directly if you’re a power user and need to deal with permissions.
Every version of Anchor has processes in place to walk you through creating, printing/saving, and filling out the 6-words required to complete this process. You can then use the certificate to import your account on desktop or mobile!
We also be open sourcing a number of client SDKs related to owner key certificates and encouraging adoption of these standards within other creation services and wallets.
Behind the scenes all of the account creation is done using a new account creation protocol we have been working on. We spent a significant amount of time trying to find the easiest and most secure way possible to onboard users into the ecosystem, one which didn’t require new users to perform confusing steps such as:
- Generate and saving new key pairs
- Copying and pasting public keys (not private) into websites
We have bigger plans for these technologies that we’ll be sharing soon!
You can download Anchor in the following locations:
- For Android Devices: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greymass.anchor
- For iOS Devices: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/anchor-wallet/id1487410877
- For Windows, macOS, Linux: https://greymass.com/en/anchor/download
We’re excited to finally release and start talking about this initiative! Ask your questions or let us know your thoughts and we’ll be happy to engage on how these new systems can help usher in an era of increased adoption for these EOSIO chains.
If you have any problems with these new systems, please let us know!