EOSCommunity.org Forums

2 active keys in my xxx.gm account?

Hi I was just looking up my xxx.gm account that I created in the Anchor authenticator (iOS iPhone) and I noticed that under keys there are 2 public keys under the active keys. It used to have only 1 and I see that there was an Update Auth action but, I don’t recall doing this. BUT I think it could be because I was testing out the restore account function with the QR code and 6 words and restored my account on my iPad. Is it normal behaviour for the authenticator to generate a new public and private active key specific for my iPad? As it seems like this is what has happened.
Thanks.
Ian

Yup! That’s exactly what it was.

When you use the restore option using the backup sheet, you have two options:

1. Add new Device
  2. Reset all Devices

When you add a new device, it generates a brand new key for the new device, and adds that active key to the account. This allows both devices with independent keys to manage the same account, without sharing that key between the two.

If you were to use the Reset All Devices option, it’ll create a new key, and set the account to use this new key and wipe out all the others.

1 Like

Good to know! Thank you Aaron. The reset all devices is a great security feature. Now an unrelated question. If I wanted to make the owner key in my xxxx.gm account one from my ledger how would I go about that? I don’t think I can login to bloks with the owner key from the authenticator as it only stores the active private key.

There’s an “Advanced Options” when you use the backup sheet and import it. Inside those advanced options is the option to import the actual owner key into Anchor. You’d then be able to log in to bloks.io with that owner authority and change the owner key itself.

This will make the backup sheet invalid and no longer work. Your new key backup would be that of the Ledger and you’d have to use your Ledger manually to add new keys/devices/etc.

Ok thank you. I will check it out.